Tuesday, February 24, 2009

capri pant and ruffle attachment question

I'm trying to figure out capri pants and adding ruffles to them at the moment.

I finally figured out how to use the ruffler on my Singer Featherweight. (See a previous post)

And now, I thought I'd just trim off the pair of pants that I had already cut out for dear daughter (age 3), then attach the ruffle, after I'd sewn the outside pant seam.

Hmmm, well, maybe I should have cut out a pair of pants specifically for doing ruffles, as the pants are quite skinny at the point where the ruffles are! Any ideas?

I did top stitch at the place where the ruffle attached to the pant. I got that idea from Izzie at PR (and my friend!).

gaileee

p.s. Amy Butler pattern and fabric Giveaway at
http://the-fabric-shopper.blogspot.com/ Go check it out!!

2 comments:

  1. Gaileee, If I understand what you're asking, you are wanting to add a ruffle to the bottom of a pair of capris? It would be easier if you sew the ruffle on before you stitch the inside leg seam. Best way to do it?
    1. GET THE SERGER OUT OF THE BOX! (hee hee)
    2. Serge the ruffle to the bottome of the pant leg.
    3. Press the serged seam up (onto the pant leg)
    4. topstitch or edgestitch the seam (not necessary, but it makes it look nice).
    5. Sew inside leg seam.
    HTH! E-me or call me if I can help more.
    Iz.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the advise! I did do the ruffle onto the pant, and I topstitched and stuff, but where the ruffle came together, to me, looks weird!

    But then I figured out that I needed to fold my fabric together, "then" ruffle it, not on raw material (I had to hem my ruffle in other words....ah well...)

    I'm learning!
    and yes, it does help!
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete